Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day Four

I've been accused of being an addict. These words spoken by my dear S.O.

Tonight my son yelled from the living room when he can get a ride to to his father's this weekend--Friday or Saturday? I answered "Saturday". The end of my car fast.

Back in the kitchen I told my S.O., well actually we could go Friday evening any time after 3 p.m.

2:45 p.m. to be precise. "You're addicted to your car!" Because apparently to him, I was counting the hours, no, the minutes! until I could use it again.

I have to admit this is on my mind, and in the meantime, although I am enjoying this experiment it is something to endure. To survive? Well, let's not be so dramatic. I did however enter a mild panic when I just could not deal with doing this the first week of school. So yes, I think we have established that I rely heavily on using my car.

In addition to this blog, I have been journaling some. One question I have is, how much more stuff do I buy because I have a car and I can haul more stuff in it? And these "car-free" people. How many of them end up buying a bunch of stuff on the internet instead and having it shipped to their homes, in the process burning fuel in the vehicles of others?? Yes, perhaps the UPS truck is more efficient than the personal vehicles, but the link between private cars, transport and consumption is on my mind.

Still at home sick today. But tomorrow's the big day! I will have to travel by public transportation to work in McLean and to class in the evening back in Arlington. And somehow get home after 10 p.m. at night.

Car trips saved today:
Trip to drugstore (I walked) - 1 mile
Ride from football practice (my son had to walk it) - 2 miles

Total for Tuesday: 3 miles - ok, so we're in an "urban" area, thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment