Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day One

The last time I drove my car was at 2:45 p.m. on Friday, September 10th.

The start of the week without my car has been easy so far. I had a bad cold and so thanks to Benadryl, I slept for 12 hours last night. No Friday night outing for me.

Last night was the first time it was cool enough to need a blanket and so my son requested his comforter. It happens to be in storage because we are getting ready to move. This required a 1.2 miles walk one way to the storage place. Somehow I convinced my son to go with me. I thought it would give us some time to spend together. He agreed to go. The trip took almost an hour. We stopped at the gas station to buy him a drink and candy bar because otherwise he thought he would not survive the long walk we were taking.

During our trip to and from the storage place, he told me how he thought it was absolutely bizarre and unnecessary to follow through on such a course assignment. He told me I should just write what I imagine the experience might be because those are the instructions he receives in middle school for some writing assignments. He complained greatly about having to take such a long walk and how much time we had "wasted." I said that all that he would probably be doing since it was a Saturday morning and he had no plans, was staring at his iPod Touch.

My son thought it was very inconvenient to make this trip without a car. And this was my response:  I get tired of driving too. Having to get in and out of my car. Drive, park, drive, park. Having to be careful not to get hit or hit anyone. Having to be careful in parking lots. Walking has it's risks too of course. But as much as I like to drive my car, having to operate this large piece of machinery (yes, when prescriptions drug say don't operate heavy machinery they are talking about cars) can get quite tiring.

Car trips saved today:
2.4 miles (storage) - I walked
3.0 miles (grocery store) - I got a ride

5.4 miles total for Saturday.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment