Friday, September 17, 2010

Day Seven

Wow, I made it. Alright, so I started on a weekend and I was out sick for two days, but nonetheless I completed my 7 days car free.

Today, I left for work from Alexandria, so it was a longer distance but I figured out the metro and bus I should take and also got a ride to the King Street station in the a.m. I left the office early and so at 1 p.m. I had made it to the Westpark Transit Station. Such an interesting place, with a view of the toll-road. Even during the middle of the day, there are several buses that go to EFC and WFC metro. But I was lucky enough to find out that there's a bus 5A that goes between Dulles Airport and L'Enfant Plaza with a stop in Rosslyn. So my ride to Rosslyn took 15 minutes. Awesome! And it's a metro luxury bus. The seats were plush and had headrests. How nice huh? Is it because it goes on the toll road and 66? is used by international tourists?

Annoucement flyer in the bus shelter at Westpark Transit Center: Transit Week September 20th through... How funny, next week we are encouraged to use everything but our car. The flyer shows the same woman on a bus and as part of a carpool, and examples of other modes of transport. 

So the travel by bus and metro takes longer, but it seems to bother me less and less, and I've made a good dent in one of my textbooks.

Today I wonder what the difference would be going without my car for two weeks, or one month.

I did want to use this blog to include more insight about my experience but that may be for other postings.

Here and there during the week sometimes I was irritated that I was at the mercy of the bus routes and schedules. But sometimes things work out just fine.

This evening friends are meeting at a restaurant for drinks in recognition of the Mexican bicentennial. And the restaurant happens to be walking distance from where I am this afternoon. Perfect!

Car trips saved:
RT to work from Alexandria, meet friends after work, ride home = about 35 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment