Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day Two

Sunday, and my bad cold continues. Not many plans for today and not much effort exerted today, at least none that required a car. Which is fine since that gave me time for my course readings and work. I didn't really have to drive anywhere today and so I don't have a record of "car miles saved."

Besides the picture of my lovely car, I thought I would share more about my class assignment and my car. The assignment is to go without a technology upon which we rely heavily, for one entire week. It's for a graduate course entitled "Culture, Organization and Technology" at George Mason University's School of Public Policy. I chose my car because of the "rely heavily" characteristic. Unlike, my cell phone or the TV, which I actually avoid using.

Part of the instructions were to not plan for this week and just go "cold turkey." Well, that was tough. Originally, I was going to start on the Tuesday after Labor Day. You know, THE traffic day from hell. By Labor Day however, panic had set in. My son had just come back from a stay with his dad. We still had some school supplies and clothing to buy. I had to do groceries. I had signed up to bring drinks for class on Wednesday night. How was I going to get that stuff there? Nevermind I had not figured out exactly which bus and metro combo I was going to take to work. Oh geez and I had a doctor's appointment on a remote part of Duke Street on Friday. I moved my start date to a precisely timed 7 days that would not interfere with the appointment and the next time my son may need a ride to his dad's.

Reactions to "I'm not using my car for one week":

"Then what are you going to do?"
"To see how much you suffer?"
"What?!?"
"Then who is going to drive you to work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment